Thank you for your interest in volunteering
We are looking for professional, positive people who can help us GO BIG so they can GO HOME. Volunteers are part of the essential core of a rescue and have a role at nearly every level of our life saving journey.
There are so many ways to volunteer for Ruff House and every little bit helps, so get involved and help us save lives. We have both in-person or remote volunteer opportunities. Remote volunteer opportunities can be done from home!
What volunteer opportunities are available for me at Ruff House Rescue?
Animal Volunteer Opportunities:
- Hands on with our dogs at our facility: we need volunteers mornings and evenings to clean, walk, feed, socialize, and more at our kennel facility in Island Park (must be 25 or over, and able to commit to a weekly schedule).
- Hands on with our cats at Petco Oceanside: Feed, socialize, and care for our cats and kittens.
- Adoption Events: Come help us at one of our weekend adoption events where you can help take care of our amazing pups, set up and break down corrals and crates, solicit donations, and more!
- Do you have professional pet portrait experience? We would love to have you come to adoption events and/or our kennel to get the best pictures of our adoptable pets. **Videographers needed as well.
- Transport: help transport our rescue pets locally or out of state.
Other Ways to Volunteer:
- Adoption Counselor: Be a part of the team who finds our animals their perfect forever families by reviewing applications, interviewing applicants and their references, and/or conducting home checks. This is a remote role (although we do always need adoption counselors on site at adoption events) and can be done from anywhere!
- Marketing and Communications: Join our social media team creating content, designing email blasts, newsletters, marketing materials and more! Graphic designers always needed for merch design as well.
- Thrifty Paws: Volunteer at our thrift store in East Rockaway.
Is there a minimum age for volunteering?
When volunteering for a position to be in direct contact with rescue animals, we require you to be 18 years of age or older. If you are under 18 and would like to volunteer at Ruff House please have a parent or guardian complete the application on your behalf and indicate your age on the lower comment area of the volunteer application.
Are there volunteer requirements?
- Review and sign the volunteer contract and waiver.
- Purchase a volunteer t-shirt at a reduced cost.
- Purchase a Ruff House leash (for kennel and event volunteers) at a reduced cost.
- Be willing to choose and commit to a specific role and task and commit to a specific amount of hours/days
Be a team player 🙂
Do volunteers need to have previous dog or cat experience?
All volunteers are expected to:
- Bring your best self and treat your volunteer position with the same care and responsibility you would treat a paid position.
- Read, review, and follow all rules set forth in the volunteer contract.
Do you provide volunteer training?
Yes! We will assign a seasoned volunteer in the role you are looking for as a mentor.
Can a group of my friends or colleagues volunteer together?
YES! We have worked with Apple and other organizations to arrange for group to volunteer at adoption events! Please email us with ideas and questions at info@RuffHouseRescue.org.
Is there a minimum amount of hours or length of time I am expected to volunteer?
Yes. This will be determined depending on your volunteer position.
CAN I PERFORM COMMUNITY SERVICE BY VOLUNTEERING?
Yes. There are different types of community service and we would love to have you work with us even it is for a temporary period of time. You may also choose to continue on with Ruff House when your community service is completed.
I have a specific skill, ie) carpentry, mechanical, etc... can i volunteer a service for when it is needed?
Please do. We would be so greatly benefited to have you as a resource to help with a future specific need. Just indicate what your trade or skill is. Please feel free to also offer ideas you may have on implementing what you do.